Purpose of this study was to create a nursing model for nursing of Japanese Oriental Medicine.
Method of this study took Literature Review and Qualitative Research.
- Search papers about nursing and outpatient nursing of Oriental medicine from the Japan Medical Abstracts Society which is the web reference site for medical science
- Clarify characters of nursing articles of Oriental medicine
- Focus group interview participants were nurses and doctors who practice at the Japanese Oriental “Kampo” Medicine of university hospital
- Analyze and abduct interview data to create categories
- Create a nursing model l for nursing of Japanese Oriental Medicine
Results were as follows,
1. 142 papers from the Japan Medical Abstracts Society which is web reference site for medical and nursing were searched. From article titles and content summaries, these papers were classified into four types.
2. Characters of articles that were nursing of Oriental medicine were as follows.
1) According to symptomatic treatments such as medication, finger pressure therapy and acupuncture, and its effect.
2) Introduction of nursing education in Oriental medicine.
3) Introduced as a paradigm of health based on Oriental medicine.
4) The flow of various Asian traditional medicine. That were Kampo medicine, Chinese medicine, Korea style medicine, Indian traditional medicine, Tibetan traditional medicine and Comprehensive medicine.
These papers showed there was no model of nursing for nursing of Oriental medicine. Although the new trend of nursing science was introduced as a paradigm of health based on Oriental medicine. Nurses are used to holistic nursing, who are easy to accept the paradigm change from Western medicine.
3. Participants were 3 nurses and 2 physicians who practice at the Japanese Oriental “Kampo” Medicine of university hospital. In the group focus interview they were asked about the nursing, instructions and communications remains in the impression in their practices, difficulties in practice and suggestions to nursing in Oriental medicine.
The patient type remains in the impression were as follows.
Patients undergoing chemotherapy or radiation therapy for cancer treatment, symptom control becomes difficult, take in Oriental medicine. Gynecological diseases with complaints unidentified. Physical symptoms control is difficult in psychiatric disorders.
Difficult experiences were as follows.
Physicians had spent hours roughly doubled than doctors of Western medicine. Such patients had not at ease all instead visiting time is prolonged. Reasons are physical problems over the self-affirmation of family support or financial hardship, their self-esteem are low.
Devise countermeasures were as follows.
Against such difficulties, physicians of Oriental medicine, Western medicine treatment approximately twice as much practice time to listen, were addressed. While nurses and information exchange and other clinic nurses had to respond to patient needs.
4. The purpose of this study is to create a nursing model. Therefore, when analyzing data, we had the premise to clarify the mean for patients and implications for nursing process.
1 ） Categories are extracted from the viewpoint of meaning for the patient.
- Patients are divided to 2 types. Patients of are to receive treatments depend on Oriental medicine in Oriental medicine. Patients of another type who undergoing treatment depend on Western medicine are to receive treatment because of symptoms controls in Oriental medicine.
- Patients receive Oriental medicine treatment secondary while undergoing treatment. It means that is often confusing to medicine because by paradigm of Western medicine and Oriental medicine. These paradigms are different from each other.
- Effectiveness of symptom controls are different from each other that paradigms of Western medicine and Oriental medicine. Oriental medical treatment often takes a lot of time to effect to symptom controls.
- There are drugs and acupuncture treatments other than the needed changes in lifestyle, such as diet and continue to control symptoms in Oriental medicine. Patients expects that could not be controlled by Western medicine medical symptoms improve in Oriental medicine. However, to take time to symptom improvement in Oriental medicine, does not go as expected.
- It is easy for patients to accept symptom control of secondary treatment instead of Western medicine treatment, although difficult to accept Oriental medicine as a new paradigm, and avert that.
- Patients often accept Oriental medicine as physician was told. They are difficult to make a decision of whether or not accept the understanding of Oriental medicine and Oriental medicine treatment with Oriental medicine paradigm. They are uncertain to their conditions and future.
2 ）Categories are extracted from the viewpoint that mean for patients and implications for nursing process
- The role of nurses in Oriental medicine nursing implement kampo treatment as physician told.
- Although nurses sympathize with the treatment and idea of Oriental medicine, they don’t think about concepts relevancies between Oriental medicine and nursing concepts.
- Nurses are busy to implement instructions of their physicians. Nurses don’t think to implement nursing method utilizing Oriental medicine.
- Nurses think patients who don't listen to descriptions and ignore orders from their physicians have problems.
- Nurses trust physicians with settlements of patients’ problems that symptom control takes time and patients’ acceptance paradigm of Oriental medicine.
- However nurses gather informations for sharing that with nurses, do not think the nursing process utilizing that informations.
5. Create a nursing model for Nursing of Japanese Oriental Medicine
In the beginning, we made to identify obviously necessary and sufficient condition of nursing models.
A necessary and sufficient condition, is configured in the necessary condition and sufficient condition. Therefore, we considered separately for each of the conditions.
That are the necessary conditions for requirements should be met through a qualitative analysis and literature review of nursing in Oriental medicine discovered.
Then consider sufficient conditions of nursing models.Fundamentally, the nurse provide nursing process through patient nursing. Oriental medicine nursing is no exception. Therefore, sufficient conditions of nursing model is in Oriental Medicine patients in nursing nurses can be.
We made the nursing model for Nursing of Japanese Oriental Medicine.
In Japan, it already started nursing of Oriental Medicine as symptomatic treatments. Now a day, the new trend of nursing science is the introduction as a paradigm of health based on Oriental medicine. Nurses are used to holistic nursing, who are easy to accept the paradigm change from Western medicine. Nursing education may have some nursing classes about nursing of Oriental medicine.