Adult Attachment Style and Family Presence Preference During Invasive Nursing Procedures

Saturday, 29 July 2017: 9:50 AM

Nurten Kaya, PhD
Department of Midwifery, Istanbul University, Health Sciences Faculty, Istanbul, Turkey


This study was carried out in the descriptive and correlational type to examine the effect of adult attachment styles regarding the fact that the patients prefer their family members/relatives/the people they care to stand by them during invasive nursing procedures.


The study population consisted of patients hospitalized in the observation unit of the internal medicine section in the emergency department of a university hospital. The sample consisted of 76 patients who were selected by random sampling method.


It was found that 56.6% (n=43) of the patients were female, the age average was 47.83 (SD=18.88), 65.8% (n=50) of them were married, 28.9% (n=22) of them had university or higher education, 36.8% (n=28) of them were civil servants, 93.4% (n=71) of them had social security and the remaining 6.6% (n=5) of them had green cards, 65.8% (n=50) of them had children, and 56.6% (n=43) of them were living with their families. 57.9% (n=44) of the patients said that they preferred their relatives to stand by them during invasive nursing procedures. 51.3% (n=39) of the individuals gave yes answer to the question of “Is there someone you would like him/her to stand by you especially during the intervention?”. When they were asked to identify the person they want to stand by them, mother/father, child, spouse, sibling, relatives and friends were preferred. 76.3% (n=58) of the patients gave the answer of "me" to the question of who should make the decision of status of the presence of a relative during invasive nursing procedures. When the point averages of adult attachment styles of the patients, who were included within the scope of the research, were examined, it was seen to be (potential point distribution is between 1-5 in all styles) 3.57 in indifferent, 3.02 (SD=0.63), (SD=0.57) in frightening, 2.87 (SD=0.50) in obsessive, 2.79 (SD=0.66) in confident.


In addition, it was determined that the patients' adult attachment styles did not affect the status of demanding someone beside them during invasive nursing procedures (p>0.05).